Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Meet Gerald Harper... and a Look into Horticulture at Brookwood

 Gerald Harper, Assistant Work Program Coordinator
 
The weather continues to be hot and for us in Horticulture, and that means lots of water, sunscreen and frequent breaks.  We continue to plant and propagate a few new plants and the movers are busy moving plants out of certain green houses to make way for poinsettias.  That’s right, we begin planting them in mid-August and when we plant 45,000 plus plants you need to clear a lot of space!
 

I said I’d be featuring the Work Program teachers working in the Plant Shop.  Since I didn’t really get to “interview” anyone last week, I will start with myself.  I started working at Brookwood 13 months ago, after retiring from Shell Oil.  My wife Jennifer, who in pictured above, suffered a Brain aneurysm in May of 1998 and came to Brookwood as a Day Citizen in the spring of 1999.  A couple of years ago, I called Rick Demunbrun, (since retired), and told him I was retirement eligible and if he would find me something to do out there at Brookwood, I’d drive the bus Jennifer rode daily.  Since they had been having troubles finding and retaining drivers, well let’s just say the rest is history.  My past 13 months at Brookwood has truly been a blessing.  This is where I am supposed to be.  I am currently a Horticulture Teacher and just took on the Assistant Work Program Coordinator position, as well.
 

Mark is having WAY TOO MUCH FUN on cleanup duty!  :)
We have a lot of fun in Horticulture!
 
 
 
We have to weed out plants that are unsellable, in a process we call "the dump."  That is Tara Burger, former Brookwood Intern and our newest WP Teacher and Joanie, one of our citizens who works in the Movers in the morning.  (In orange t-shirts behind the cart.)
 
...Submitted by Gerald Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment